(Posted Wed. May 27th, 2015)

The National Corn Growers Association reminds farmers to make sure they have a Highly Erodible Land Conservation and Wetland Conservation Certification form (AD-1026) on file with their local USDA service center by June 1, in order to be eligible for farm bill programs including crop insurance premium support.


USDA notes that most farmers already have an AD-1026 form on file. That’s because it’s required for participation in USDA programs such as marketing assistance loans, farm storage facility loans, and disaster assistance. Under the 2014 farm bill, the form is now required for farmers to receive support on their crop insurance premiums. Also new this year, everyone deemed having a “farming interest,” such as spouses, minor children, owners or other producers on the farm, must have an AD-1026 form on file.


Additionally, farmers who plan to conduct activities that may affect their highly erodible land conservation or wetlands conservation compliance, such as removing fence rows, conducting drainage activities, or combining fields, must also file an updated AD-1026 form.


“Most farmers already have this paperwork on file, but it’s always a good idea to verify with your USDA office – especially if you have not recently participated in USDA programs, or have made changes to your farm operation,” said Illinois farmer Jim Reed, chair of NCGA’s Public Policy Action Team. “Affordable crop insurance is an important tool to managing risk. We want all eligible farmers to be in compliance and maintain their ability to participate in the federal crop insurance program.”


Click here to find your local USDA service office.