What is the NCGA Research Ambassador Program?
The purpose of the NCGA Research Ambassador Program is to build a network of future leaders in the agriculture sector. Up to six (6) students will be selected each year to receive financial support as well as travel and networking opportunities.
Ambassadors must demonstrate academic excellence, leadership potential, and be involved in research relevant to corn production.
Students selected as NCGA Research Ambassadors will receive the following:
- Financial award of $2,500 directly to the student;
- Up to $750 for registration and travel reimbursement for participation in scientific research conferences;
- Fully-funded travel to participate in NCGA events throughout the year, which could include grower research committee meetings, congressional visits at the state or federal level, Commodity Classic, Corn Congress, farm field days, etc.
Who can apply?
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Current enrollment as a graduate student with identified advisor
- Involved in research broadly related to corn production (breeding, genetics, computer science, engineering, etc.).
- Available to fully participate in the program, which includes travel to at least one NCGA grower meeting. NCGA travel opportunities will fall during the academic year and/or summer field season. Potential travel dates include the following:
- NCGA Grower Committee Meetings | January 9-11, 2023 | Location TBD
- Commodity Classic | March 9-11, 2023 | Orlando, Florida
- NCGA Corn Congress | July 17-20, 2023 | Washinton, D.C.
While any student meeting the above criteria may apply, preference will be given to students involved in research associated with the Genomes to Fields research network.
What are the deadlines and dates?
The application for the 2022-2023 cycle is now open. The application deadline is April 30, 2022, 11:59pm PDT.
Selected applicants may be invited for video interviews with the grower selection committee.
Awards expected to be announced in May 2022.
Program duration will be August 2022 through July 2023.