NCGA is a partner organization for the Joint EPA-USDA Partnership and Competition on Next Gen Fertilizers to Advance Agricultural Sustainability in the United States. Nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizers facilitate the growth of crops, including corn, at yields that provide sustained global food production. “Enhanced Efficiency Fertilizer” (EEF) is a term for new formulations that control fertilizer release or alter reactions that reduce nutrient losses to the environment. EEFs and other next-generation product technology innovations may be an important addition to a system of conservation practices that help reduce the impacts of row crop agriculture on the environment while maintaining or increasing agricultural productivity and profitability. This program aims to accelerate the development and use of existing and new product technologies that are affordable to reduce the environmental impacts of U.S. corn production.
Alignment with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals:
- Goal 6 Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Goal 12 Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Goal 13 Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Goal 14 Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Goal 15 Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.